[OT] Home Email Server? The OLD days...

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Fri Mar 13 11:43:14 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009 11:44:04 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 15:09 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:

> > > I took a sendmail class for 4 days at Redhat, about 7 years ago.
> > >
> > > Guess how much I remember?
> > >
> > > Answer: Very little. :) Ric
> >
> > Ha!
> >
> > I actually supported a farm of sendmails for about a year until I
> > replaced them with postfix when I worked at an email service provider.
> >
> > I even have a cdb patch for sendmail based on an existing inhouse mysql
> > patch that I have updated for 8.14.x on sourceforge.
> >
> > Now I too remember squat.
> >
> > I did not know Redhat had sendmail classes. I also don't remember seeing
> > anything like sendmail needed for RHCA...them classes are just for your
> > own benefit?
>
> I forget the name of the feller in North Carolina that taught the class.
> He knew sendmail and inside and out and did sendmail consulting as part
> of his services. Darn sharp guy. Some of us in-house took the course and
> I'm guessing that he had some of his clients there as well. Red Hat used
> to have outside vendors there all the time, back in Bob Young's days. I
> was in the old Installation Support group and they encouraged us to
> participate in any of the classes that were held in their offices in the
> Research Triangle Park. (RTP)
>
> At any rate, the final exam was to set up sendmail to forward to the
> next guy's workstation and his sent it to the next, etc, until it
> returned back to the instructors machine. Whoever botched up their
> configuration, stopping the forward process, failed. Guess who botched
> up? I felt miserable as I thought I understood it. I guess I either
> didn't or made a typo. Thank the Lord we didn't have to actually use
> sendmail in the regular support scheme of things. We had guys that
> billed the large dollars to do that. Back in those days just figuring
> out what IRQ did what and when kept us busy. The earlier days of Linux
> (1996-98) were a real trial, just getting sound and network cards to
> work. <grins> Ric

I can relate to this. Sometimes I google my old e-mail address' from back in
those days and some of the questions I asked back then seem so childish. LOL.

Here's a good example of some of the questions I sent to the KDE list back in
2000 about a year or 2 after I started using linux.

"I have to setup my modem each time I long into linux. I open a terminal
and type setserial /dev/ttySx port 0x000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig
setserial /dev/ttySx uart16550A

where "x" is alternated between 1 and 3 each time I log in. I added these
lines to the /etc/rc.d rc.local file so it would remember everything but its
not working. what I don't understand is it worked when I first installed it
with no problem then I ended up having to move my modem to another slot in
the tower because windows was not finding it. any suggestions?

David M.
Send posts to:  kde at lists.netcentral.net
 Send all commands to:  kde-request at lists.netcentral.net
PLEASE READ THE ARCHIVED MESSAGES AT http://lists.kde.org/ BEFORE