Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 03:08:51 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I have a crossover cable.  I would like to transfer data from one
>> computer to another using the cable.  After the computers are connected,
>> what type of application will assist the transfer.  I have been unable
>> to get Samba or fish to work.  But I do have a crossover cable and would
>> like to try that.  TIA.
>>

> Steven, you need to physically connect the machines (you have a
> crossover cable, that's enough), then set up a network between the
> machines (DHCP will assign addresses to each machine), then set up a
> server on one machine and a client on the other. You then connect to
> the server with the client, and transfer the files based upon the
> protocol of the server (samba and ftp seem poppular for this purpose,
> but you could use scp over SSH as well).
>
> Does that sound complicated? I think that it is a bit more complicated
> than it has to be. I do not know of any application that will make it
> any easier, but I will start filing RFEs to make this easier. In the
> meantime, those steps are what you need to do. Sorry.
>
> If anyone knows of an application that makes this easier than I've
> described, please mention it. Even non-Linux applications would
> interest me as I might be able to learn something from them and
> implement it on Linux (not the actual application, but the idea).

It is a good explanation, Dotan, I will have to study it a bit; I am
getting some pretty good help right now, so I am going to relax a bit
and allow people to help me.  I usually screw up when I start getting
stressed, and this stuff is really confusing to me.  A little easier
each day though.  I expect to really understand the process by the time
the problems are resolved.  Thank you for your help.  I really think
this thing you are doing is a real benifit to the community of Linux
users.  I know we all will appreciate the result. To me it is, the
impossible made easy.  Perhaps a good title for a tutorial.

Steven