jaunty kde 4.2 weather applet loses city upon reboot / relogin

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 23:09:53 UTC 2009

Trying to use the lcd weather applet and encountering loss of
configuration every time I restart kde, either by reboot or
logout/login.  When I leave (logout or shutdown), the lcd is showing the
correct city and data.  But, after restart, it shows the word "Loading"
in the lcd.

I've looked at ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc and see that my city
is correctly listed, as well as the rest of the stuff.

[Containments][3][Applets][16]
geometry=1626,6,32,32
immutability=1
plugin=weatherstation
zvalue=0

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration]
updateWeather=30
windFormat=0

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration][\x00]
ion=

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration][<snipped city name>]
ion=noaa

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Shortcuts]
global=Meta+W

To try to fix it, I right click and select Settings, then in the popup I
notice the "Select data source" has changed from my setting of noaa to
bbc weather, and under data source it shows a blank line above my city
name.  If I click to hi-light my city name and hit ok, it still says

Now when I reopen the Settings, my city listing is missing altogether.
I have to reselect noaa and my city name to get it working again.  It's
crazy.

Anyone have this working correctly or any ideas what to try?

TIA