Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 13 21:09:03 UTC 2009

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/3/13 Mike Shaw <mdshaw89 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Your looking at this little backward.  Once you have the network setup
>> between the machines any application you would normally use to
>> transfer files between two machines will work, i.e. ftp, scp, rsync,
>> nfs mount and copy, samba mount and copy, etc.  It sounds like you
>> don't have the network setup.  In order to get a serial link network
>> setup you might look at the Linux Documentation Project(www.tlp.org)
>> for details, especially the Serial How-to and the Network
>> Administrators' Guide.  You are going to setup either a SLIP or PPP
>> connection to get this to work via serial cable.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I don't see that anywhere that he using an serial cable. He says that
> he has a "crossover cable" and for me thats a "crossover Ethernet
> cable" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable. That
> would make things easier, if he just get the network up, transfer
> files with sftp/fish is easy and he don't need to use any CLI tools
> for that.
>
> / Jonas

Thanks mike, but I have a crossover LAN cable, if you were talking about
joining two serial ports.  I have a very screwed up mount situation on
one computer.  Haven't been able to resolve, even with the help of two
of the best at repairing screwed up boxes.  I am the guilty part that
screwed them up.  I just got an email from one who has obviously read my
new post; I think he may have the solution now.  What a guy;  never seen
anyone with such tenacity and patience.  I will check the lead out.
Thanks friend.

STeven