To those moving to Jaunty: Do not use the new ext4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:23:30 UTC 2009

>> It has everything to do with KDE because of the way KDE syncs it's data to disk.
>
> Many applications make this (incorrect) assumption, not just KDE.

That is correct.

>> There already was some AC on either this list or the Ubuntu list
>> asking about ext4 and he could not understand that new does not mean
>> better. I think that the Windows school of though is to use the newest
>> everything, including beta service packs when they can be torrented.
>
> Obviously that's not always true.

It doesn't have to be always true, just sometimes true, for a warning
to be prudent.

>>> . Among other things, it notes that ext4's behavior in no way violates
>>> the spec.  /However,/ it does conflict with application expectations,
>>> and so we will be adjusted.
>>
>> In one month? You trust _your_ data to it.
>
> When did I say people should use ext4?  And what makes you think this
> can't be changed sanely in a month?  The on-disk format would be
> impossible to change at this point, but algorithm tweaks should not be
> infeasible at all.

I am not going to split hairs with you nor play he-said-she-said. The
combination of KDE (this is a KDE-centric list) and ext4 (the new
shiny filesystem in this list's focus) is dangerous today.

> There are very compelling advantages for ext4 over ext3, and speaking
> for myself I will probably switch at an appropriate time.

There are advantages, but "very compelling"? Which advantage would you
call "very compelling". Furthermore, I agree about "appropriate time"
but now is not appropriate time.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü