scanner in kde 4.2?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Mar 13 12:33:52 UTC 2009

Norberto Bensa wrote:

> I wrote to the list 'cos my scanner was crashing when I selected
> gray/color and I thought it was xsane's fault. It seems that pluging
> the scanner into another usb port fixed the problem.

That's a solution that gets less attention than it deserves.  I've had the
weirdest things happen when a USB port is flaky, or possibly when a
particular device/port combination is bad.  I had one USB hub with 1 bad
port - plugging anything into it must have shorted it, because it promptly
drew too much power and shut down the whole USB bus.  That part wasn't so
odd, but the things that would seem to have no connection to a USB bus that
stopped working were so odd that I was led on a wild goose chase for weeks
before I discovered the power short.

The moral being that any time a USB device isn't working, try connecting to
a different port; and any time _anything_ inexplicable is happening, start
by removing all USB devices.
--
derek