To those moving to Jaunty: Do not use the new ext4

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 12 23:44:06 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/3/12 Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu>:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I'm not blaming the ext4 developers nor am I blaming KDE, but there
>>> exists a dangerous condition for using KDE under ext4:
>> It has absolutely nothing to do with KDE, except they are one example of
>> a app that expects more than POSIX has to offer.
>>

> It has everything to do with KDE because of the way KDE syncs it's data to disk.

Many applications make this (incorrect) assumption, not just KDE.

> There already was some AC on either this list or the Ubuntu list
> asking about ext4 and he could not understand that new does not mean
> better. I think that the Windows school of though is to use the newest
> everything, including beta service packs when they can be torrented.

Obviously that's not always true.

>> . Among other things, it notes that ext4's behavior in no way violates
>> the spec.  /However,/ it does conflict with application expectations,
>> and so we will be adjusted.
>>

> In one month? You trust _your_ data to it.

When did I say people should use ext4?  And what makes you think this
can't be changed sanely in a month?  The on-disk format would be
impossible to change at this point, but algorithm tweaks should not be
infeasible at all.

There are very compelling advantages for ext4 over ext3, and speaking
for myself I will probably switch at an appropriate time.

> I meant that uninformed ACs on this list will start throwing blame.
> Maybe I underestimated the maturity of this list. Sorry.

No problem.
> No, it does ont affect Gnome which syncs it's data in the more robust
> method. I do not know about XFCE.

This again makes me doubt you read the report:

"After rebooting all my Wine registry files were 0 bytes, as were many
of my Gnome configuration files."

It is /not/ DE-specific.

Matt Flaschen