what is the difference between swap partition and swap

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 13 01:47:10 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:

>>> Never in my memory (I started using at least 3GB when I bought my Dell
>>> laptop at least 5 years ago, because I was using swap for tmpfs).
>>>
>> Well there are a limit of 4 Gb (if you use 32 bit architectures) for
>> your virtual memory and that includes RAM, Swap, Graphics memory and
>> other devices.
>>

> Surely that's not right.  People are using 4GB _real_ memory (using PAE
> kernels) - do they not get any swap at all?  I really am going to have to
> finish the installation on this machine...

I don't know if you want to hear this, but I just built my new computer
a 64bit machine.  I have a fairly large HDD and Lots of memory Plus a
quad-core now.  When I set up my new system, I installed Intrepie 64bit
with KDE 4.2.  Not knowing it wasn't possible, I made a 50gb boot
partition and a 20gb swap partition and so far it is working pretty
good.  So if you have a newer OS, you may be able to have more swap.  I
didn't know there were limitations when I did it.  I have 8gb memory
installed.

Steven