Common call for launching file browser

tom bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 12 19:07:15 UTC 2009

On 03/12/2009 kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com scribbled:
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:30:20 +0100
> From: Alain Muls <alain.muls at telenet.be>
> Subject: Common call for launching file browser
> To: "kubuntu-users" <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>,	"ubuntu-users"
> 	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hi All
>
> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for both
> systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which opens the
> file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses
>
> explorer c:\mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in both
> KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?
>
> Tx/ALain

I opened a konsole and typed "firefox /home" and it went through.  I am
unfamiliar with the protocol for calling the same from within other
programs, but it should be the same or something similar.  Of course,
from there the user can select the user directory and so on...

Tom Bell
--
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” - Juvenal, Roman poet, circa late 1st
and late 2nd centuries.