To those moving to Jaunty: Do not use the new ext4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:57:49 UTC 2009

2009/3/12 Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I'm not blaming the ext4 developers nor am I blaming KDE, but there
>> exists a dangerous condition for using KDE under ext4:
>
> It has absolutely nothing to do with KDE, except they are one example of
> a app that expects more than POSIX has to offer.

It has everything to do with KDE because of the way KDE syncs it's data to disk.

There already was some AC on either this list or the Ubuntu list
asking about ext4 and he could not understand that new does not mean
better. I think that the Windows school of though is to use the newest
everything, including beta service packs when they can be torrented.

>> The /. article links to Launchpad bugs. I do not link to them
>> directly because the /. comments are actually very important for this
>> issue,
>
> No, they're actually much less important that either the code (
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git;a=commitdiff;h=3bf3342f394d72ed2ec7e77b5b39e1b50fad8284,
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git;a=commitdiff;h=6645f8c3bc3cdaa7de4aaa3d34d40c2e8e5f09ae,
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git;a=commitdiff;h=dbc85aa9f11d8c13c15527d43a3def8d7beffdc8
> ) or the bug
> report
> (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781).  If
> you want a clear and concise comment, see
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781/comments/45
> . Among other things, it notes that ext4's behavior in no way violates
> the spec.  /However,/ it does conflict with application expectations,
> and so we will be adjusted.

In one month? You trust _your_ data to it.

>> and will be more informative than the flames and
>> responsibility-denying that I am sure will ensue here.
>
> It's quite clear the coders are taking responsibility if you actually
> bother to read the bug report.

I meant that uninformed ACs on this list will start throwing blame.
Maybe I underestimated the maturity of this list. Sorry.

>> In short, don't use ext4 on Kubuntu Jaunty. In fact, I have argued
>> before that end users should avoid ext4 or any new technology for some
>> time after debut.
>
> If this bug is an issue, it's an issue on all DE's.  And surely those
> taking your advice will not be using development releases in the first
> place.

No, it does ont affect Gnome which syncs it's data in the more robust
method. I do not know about XFCE.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü