[OT] Home Email Server?

Alan Dacey GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com
Thu Mar 12 00:58:31 UTC 2009

Norberto Bensa wrote:

>> Heh...I never configure pop3 let alone pop3s.
>
> Neither I do.
>
> I know my ISP blocks everything: 80,443,587,etc... in fact, all common
> service ports,  except for 22.
>
> They suck, but it's the only thing available at a reasonable price.
> The day they block 22, I'll move to another town :-D
>

> Regards,
> Norberto

I believe that you can re-map the ports on your machine so that the 'standard'
ones can be changed.  For example you can remap port 443 to 56189.  You could
then ssh to port 56189 and the software inside your machine would never know the
difference.  Unless your ISP blocks everything, you are good to go.  I have not
done this, yet, but I have read about it doing research to set up my own home
ubuntu server.

--
Alan

"The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated
concept.  If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in
life and actually grok it."