what is the difference between swap partition and swap file

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Mar 11 20:11:18 UTC 2009

Da Liu wrote:

> can anybody tell me the what the difference is between them? How about the
> efficiency?
>
> I am not sure whether  I should enlarge the /swap partition or make a swap
> file as a virtural swap partition.
>
> Which is better?
>
> I wanna increase the swap because my laptop cannot hibernate correctly.
> (1G memory, now the /swap is ~1G) .

Ah - you just simplified the question.  Generally speaking, I'd say a swap
file is superior for one reason - you can resize it easily.  Performance
wise it's supposed to make no difference these days.

However _afaik_ you can't use a swap file for hibernation, yet.  So unless
that's changed since I last looked, you don't have much choice.
--
derek