Kmail? (Was: Akonadi)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:09:59 UTC 2009

> I agree with you though. I wish KMail would catch up with the real world.
> KMail and the whole KDE-Pim suite has such huge potential. It has all of the
> right parts to compete with other corporate office productivity suites but
> for some reason there does not seem to be much interest in making it any
> more than a home user or hobbyist's distraction. It is like a Hollywood Old
> West Salon. From the front it looks real. Take a look behind the swinging
> doors, though and all you see a dirt lot. The real thing is somewhere
> else...

ׁHave you any suggestions for replacements? There are at least four
outstanding KDE-PIM bugs that I must 'work around' at least once a
day. I forget why I discounted Evolution as a viable alternative, but
if you have other suggestions then I would like to hear them. Thanks.

> I just noticed that Dotan says that the developers are working on it and it
> should be ready in a year... I have waited for 3 or 4 years now and have
> become both impatient and disgruntled. If he is right, one more year will
> seem like it is just around the corner... on the left through the swinging
> doors... I sure hope there is a place to sit and cold root beer on tap  :)

To be honest, KDE 4.3 wil see KDE-PIM on the new Akonadi backend and I
expect there to be problems. However, I have very high hopes for 4.2
even though it is a full year away. Not only in KDE-PIM, but in Plasma
(specifically, spaces or places or whatever they call the multiple
desktops). A lot of foundations were laid in KDE 4.0 and that's why it
was so feature-incomplete. Now, all those new features that are
possible due to Plasma will start coming out. It will be exciting!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü