[OT] Home Email Servers

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 11 20:54:02 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 15:15:24 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> > I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W
> > or less when it's idling).
>
> Cool.  I'm always interested in low-power devices, since I live off-grid.

I should mention that's 8W with the wireless disabled. It pulls a little more when wireless is on.

> > Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but
> > I have a 1TB USB drive connected,
>
> what does _that_ draw?

Good question! The power supply for it is rated at 18W. Again I use laptop_mode to spin it down when it's not in use so it doesn't draw that continually. Seems to be fine so far. Standard hard drives don't like to be spun up and down a lot, but with the usage patterns of this box it probably doesn't spin up more than once per day on average. (I do all the TV recording to the 160GB internal drive and only archive stuff out to the USB drive if I want to store it for a long time).

Mark