[OT] Home Email Servers

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 11 12:07:39 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 22:50:01 David Fletcher wrote:

> BTW What hardware are you running your server on? I'm interested in making
> these take as little power as possible whilst running a standard 3.5 inch
> hard drive. Trouble is the less power you want to take the more expensive the
> hardware gets, it seems to me.

Wow, thanks all. A lot of information to process there. Will get around to it soon.

My theory about using SSH was simply to prevent my box being used as an SMTP spam relay. I'd also like to understand ssh a bit more so it was a bit of a project too :)

I'm running this on a Asus eee box. very cheap. very low power (about 8W or less when it's idling). Now, it has an internal laptop hard drive, but I have a 1TB USB drive connected, which for what I use it for (mythtv*) is more than adequate. Seeing as it's on all the time and usually not doing much I figured it'd be good to use it as an email server too.

Thanks all,

(Oh, and yes, I've noticed the list is lagging. That's why I sent this twice, I thought the initial HTML one had been binned for being HTML.. Sorry about that).

* Yes, it realy does run mythtv, full screen DVB/DivX playback on my flatscreen TV via the VGA-out. I was amazed myself... :)

Mark