kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 50, Issue 46

Jorge PĂ©rez kokiperex at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:05:16 UTC 2009

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:16:19 -0400
> From: Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: strange plasma and behavior in KDE 4.2
> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Jorge P?rez wrote:
>> I just upgraded my Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10. The panel is having a strange
>> behavior.
>>
>> The clock and "system tray" areas is huge with a lot of unused space
>> (as you can see in the screenshot). I don't have the "open windows"
>> area and some icons are missing (I tried to use the Oxygen icon theme
>> but a lot of icons was broken and now I'm using another theme)
> The things that did not work, probably need dependent packages, or
> perhaps your system is not up to the technology.  They probably are not
> broken.  But if you video card is not reasonably current, it will
> probably not be able to handle all the plasmoids and special features.
> And too little memory may be a problem.  If you can't come up with the
> necessary tools, you won't be able to take advantage of the features.
> Other than that, it is probably just a configuration problem
>>
>> I re-instaled KDE (apt-get update kde) but that didn't help.
> It may not go back to what you are used to, it may however move you to
> something better.  It is just a matter of coming up to speed.
>
> Did you use the command apt-get update kde or did you use sudo apt-get
> install update kde.  If you want to update kde, it takes sudo privilege;
> so to get it done, you have to use the term sudo.  Also it may work
> without the word install, but I was taught to use install  as well.  And
> by not including the word kde, you will upgrade everything, not just
> KDE. You want every thing updated.  You also want every thing upgraded
> to the most current stable status, so you should consider sudo apt-get
> install upgrade too.  That will upgrade all your system default
> applications to the same state of current.
>
> Then you should forget about retaining much of anything about Hardy
> Heron and KDE 3.5.10.  You are right to be in KDE 4.2; it is much better
> than KDE 4.1 or 3.5.10 or 3.5.9 and so forth and so on.
>
> Then, and this is the most difficult thing to accept is that you are
> moving to a better way of doing things.  If it doesn't look or operate
> the same as what you are used to, don't get negative and say why did
> they do this that way, I liked what used to be just fine.  Because then
> you will be looking backward and not forward where all of progress is.
> You have to trust the fact you will be easily able to make the
> transition to something new.  And you will see that the developers are
> really making things better.  With that attitude, you will progress
> faster and have a better time moving up to the new technology, and more
> experts will want to take the time to help you.
>
> Saying that, consider the fact that maybe nothing is really missing; it
> [...]

Thank you Steve, but I think I said bad (maybe bc English isn't my
mother language).

1) I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 in the "regular way" with Aptitude
2) I like KDE 4 (and I'm used to bc I'm using it since its first
release) but I know something is wrong because some areas are huge
(and in my laptop they are ok) and the "minimized applications area"
dissapear.
3) Then I did an update with (my original message was wrong): sudo
apt-get install kde to install all the kde stuff (kde games for
example) trying to fix the things.

thank you!