boot sequence broken

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:35:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 21:55:22 +0100
Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you checked for errors in the log files /var/log/Xorg.?.log

no, as there have been no errors reported during what has happened.

but

it is now all working correctly again and I'm not sure how TBH. All I
do know is that I got to the point of putting in an install disc for
Ubuntu 8.10 and restarted the machine for the last time just in case it
had resolved, hehe and it had/has. What I do know is I did apt-get
autoremove as suggested on screen which got rid of a lot of gnome
stuff and left me without a display manager. Then I had to install kdm
which I also did at the command line as was both quick and simple. Then
I could log in directly to kdm and all is now well - hoping not to tempt
providence with such a foolish statement ;)

nepal.