Akonadi?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 9 17:52:23 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>

>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using
>> above mentioned 'Useful Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.

Actually I thought the Akonadi page gave some pretty significant clues.  For
instance: "Because Akonadi takes care of data storage ... traditionally the
difficult parts ... development of PIM applications is made much easier".
If you need a translation, I'm pretty sure it says: "There, we've done the
hard part - the rest is up to you".

> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?

_You_ don't use Akonadi.  It's a back-end, that's all.  Whether it's a
useful one, I'm still not sure.

Nepomuk is afaict worse.
--
derek