Akonadi?

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Mon Mar 9 17:50:27 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Nigel Ridley said the following at 03/09/2009 10:55 AM :
>

>> OK, here are a few useful links that I came up with very quickly using above mentioned 'Useful
>> Start Page':
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_%28framework%29
>> http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/
>> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
>>
>> All the answers (but not all the solutions -yet).
>
> I disagree, I'm afraid. I have looked at all these pages in the past, and
> have just done so again.
>
> None of them gave me any clue as to how to use either of these tools to
> accomplish something useful.
>
> It is, however, perfectly likely that I'm just not seeing something obvious.
>
> So let me ask you: how exactly does one use these tools?
>
>   Doc

I think it's a bit like Mark Greenwood said - that they're still experimental. Which does lead to
the question as to why they are enabled by default.

I did find the following [http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#When_should_I_use_Akonadi.3F]:

When should I use Akonadi?

More precisely, when should you use for your application specific data instead of eg. just using
a local file directly.

Akonadi is especially useful when you need one the following:

     * Different backends for your data, like eg. a local file and a remote server. Akonadi
provides a unified interface for application developers to access your data independent of the
actual backend.
     * Caching and change replay of remote data. Akonadi has support for that built in, giving
you free offline support for any remote backend.
     * Desktop-wide sharing of your data. As soon as more than one application (say your main
applications and a plasmoid) accesses the same data you need to deal with locking, conflict
detection, change notifications, etc. - or let Akonadi do that for you.

However, if you are just looking for a simple way to store your application data without needing
one of the above, using Akonadi usually means more implementation work for relatively little gain.

So perhaps that explains a little bit about Akonadi......

and this for Nepomuk:
Nepomuk and KDE to introduce the semantic desktop
[http://www.linux.com/feature/144853]

HTH

Blessings,

Nigel