Adjust autoconfigured Xorg

Peter Hummers phummers at emailhosting.com
Sat Mar 7 22:46:08 UTC 2009

On my 8.10 Kubuntu install, when I leave X or reboot, the monitor resolution
comes back at 1152x864, too large for my screen, and it's shifted to the right
about 1/3 of a screen's worth. As soon as I go to the System Settings/Display,
it snaps back to 1024x768, properly positioned.

I went to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to adjust it, and found this (this is the whole
file, except for the comments):

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>         Device          "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection

Looks like Xorg is self-configuring nowadays, but can I change X to start up in
1024x768?

~Pete HUMMERS