[OT] Useful Start Page revisited

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Fri Mar 6 20:14:04 UTC 2009

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have put the finishing touches to the 'Useful Start Page'.
>> It is full of links (in nice drop-down menus - pure CSS ones) and also many useful search boxes.
>> It is XHTML and CSS compliant.
>
> Congratulations!  W3C CSS validator complains about text-shadow, but I
> think that's a bug in the parser (it's valid for CSS 3).

Yes. On the W3C validator page you have to click on the 'Options' and choose either CSS2 or CSS3;
the default is CSS2.1 ?? which complains about the 'text-shadow'.
The text-shadow only works in Firefox 3.1 and above (it's a really nice effect). Unfortunately
Konqueror doesn't seem to understand the word-spacing nor the letter-spacing CSS and so it's a
bit squashed up.

>  However,
> instead of:

>   /* <![CDATA[ */
> @import url(layout.css);
>

>   /* ]]> */
>
> why not just:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="layout.css" />

Because it's good practice. To quote from 'Web Designer's Reference' by Craig Grannel:
[quote]
The problem with the link method is that obsolete browsers see the style sheet but don't
understand it. This results in garbled layouts-- and often in unusable websites for those
unfortunate enough to have to deal with arcane web browsers. The solution is to hide the CSS from
such browsers by using a command that they don't understand and so will ignore. This is often
referred to as the @import method.
[end quote]

The above mentioned book is really good for those looking to design standards compliant web sites.
Had to do that so that Graig [hopefully] won't get upset with me for quoting form his
[copyrighted] book :-)

> Matt Flaschen

Blessings,

Nigel