Inserting Images in KMail

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 5 20:46:53 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 00:08:25 Ric Moore wrote:
> [...]
> > > Alice's Restaurant?
> > >
> > > "Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
> > > blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and
> > the
> > > judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour
> > > glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the
> > back
> > > of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence
> > against
> > > us."
> > >
> > > Arlo knew in the 70's that HTML mail was doomed. <cackles> Ric
> >

> > ROFL... someone's gonna have to explain to me exactly what is wrong
> > with HTML... I mean, the web kind of caught on and that's more or less
> > based on it... ;)
>
> Nope, you got your Internet history wrong. In the Beginning, of email,
> there was ASCII text, and everyone could use it. Quite a bit Later HTML
> style email cropped up, mostly out of early AOL or one of those other
> graphical $29 a month plans, which pretty much locked in their consumers
> to the use of it. Since you paid by the minute, the more crap you
> entered or received within the body of an email earned the server more
> money. But, there were still services like Delphi that were strictly
> text based. You have to either know or learn UNIX to navigate. No push
> and click there. So, from that schism you have two forks, DOS / Win /
> AOL / Compuserve graphical or Unix text command line style.
>
> The camp you're in now is <give me a drum roll!> <badda bang!> ...UNIX!
> <waves of applause> ...and we want our writings to available to all.
> -Everyone- can deal with ASCII text. In graphical HTML style, not
> everyone can read it. Try reading a graphical message, full of emoticons
> and pink unicorns that sparkle, with a text-to-speech reader for the
> blind. Heh, heh heh.... crazy.
>
> You can read text messages on an XT with no sweat, or a Z-80 running
> cp/m or a 6502 Apple][ or your wrist watch. Highly versatile, which
> makes it the "Right Thing". <---the Hacker's Sacred Chalice,
> ...to share information -with-, as opposed to -at-.
>
> Or, we could have pink Unicorns, throbbing purple hearts with rotating
> arrows in them, copies of tattoos and gang/drug related paraphernalia,
> displayed page after page, with some words scattered around like
> "OMIGOSH!", "nO wAy mAn!" or, worst of all, "kewl...". <shudders> Oh,
> the humanity! Drowned in an intellectual sea of mediocrity.
>
> There you have it. I hope this nightmarish scenario has awakened you to
> the perils of HTML style messages --within a public forum--. For you
> wife's PERSONAL usage, that is another story. I use Evolution and I
> <think> that it allows html style which ought to be able to include
> graphics as that is what HTML is supposed to do. I've never tried it.
> But, for your sake, I'll switch to HTML style and see if I can send you
> an email with graphics within the text, ...as you've been a good

Some people like pink unicorns. I don't, but I will defend to the death my sister's right to insert them into emails without even the slightest provocation. ;) I'm not going to be some kind of pink unicorn nazi and make my sister wear a big sparkly badge to mark her out as an HTML USER! :)

But, my reference to HTML was referring to the WEB not to email. The web wouldn't exist without HTML. And lo! They saw the markup, and the markup was good and worthy and didst showeth them wherein was the title and the images. Isn't it time you allowed HTML into *your* life?

Yours foolishly,

Mark