Unable to run the command specified. Using Wine.

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Thu Mar 5 12:24:29 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 1:44:47 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> > Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> The file or folder file:///home/steven/Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:
> >> does not exist.  I just installed Wine on my 64bit Intrepid KDE 4.2.
> >>
> >> Haven't used it much in the past, so I don't remember how to configure.
> >> I was told that in KDE 4.2 it was automatic; if so, I must have another
> >> problem.  I want to install a ZIP application and need to run an .exe.
> >> I downloaded zipcrypt.exe, which sounds like it will do what I need
> >> done.  Any help please.
> >>
> >> Steven
> >
> > The .wine directory is usually under the home directory, so try
> > file:///home/steven/.wine/dosdevices/c: or
> > file:///home/steven/.wine/drive_c instead.
> >
> > Having said that, what you really should do is find where zipcrypt.exe
> > has been downloaded to, which is probably not under your .wine
> > sub-directory.  Just navigate to where the file is using dolphin or
> > konqueror and click on it.  Wine should launch if it's installed, and it
> > should install to your c: drive directory above.  It might even put an
> > icon under the "wine" entry in your K-Menu, if that's still valid with
> > KDE 4.2.
> >
> > Having said /that/, you probably don't need to install zipcrypt.exe,
> > since Kubuntu can read .zip files just fine.  Just navigate to where you
> > have downloaded your zipped application in dolphin or konqueror, and
> > click on it.  It will probably come up in an archive manager that will
> > let you extract it to the location of your choice.  You can then
> > navigate there and click on the .exe file.  If it's an install file,
> > then it will put your program in the right place for Wine.  If it isn't,
> > you can still run it from there.  Programs don't have to be on your fake
> > c: drive under the .wine directory to run.  If you want it to be on the
> > fake c: drive, you can always extract it there.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > I have a glitch in my wine application that I haven't found the fix for
> > yet.  I am working on too many things at once right now.  As I complete
> > some of these problems, I won't add more until the list is reduced a bit.
>
> I forgot, but it was stopped because of the problem in wine.  I will
> have to fix that first.  Thanks!

Why use wine to install an archiving utility, when Kubuntu can do all that?

Come to think of it, an even easier way is to install Extract And Compress so
you get all the functionality to zip, unzip, tar, etc. in the right click
menu.
http://fosswire.com/post/2008/08/extract-archives-on-right-click-in-kde-4/

David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net