Inserting Images in KMail

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 3 21:20:18 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 21:07:43 Alvin wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 March 2009 20:24:03 Mark Greenwood wrote:

> > > You don't need HTML for that. (HTML mail is evil)
> >
> > In what way is HTML mail "evil"? That's the attitude the KMail developers
> > take. HTML mail is very useful.
>
> There might be a few uses for it, I think. I don't use it and I write a lot of
> mail. In most cases it just enlarges the mail. It is considered bad manners,
> and certainly on a mailing list. My IMAP mailbox is only 20MB (yes, I'm paying
> for that). Imagine a person who posts a lot of questions each day while using
> HTML mail. I would have to unsubscribe from the list.

OK I don't understand. You don't get 20MB of mail in a day, surely? Are you saying you leave all your mail on the server all the time?  Having my mail locally is utterly crucial, so I can work offline if I'm on site and there's no net access. Why would you choose to leave it on the server? I honestly didn't know people still did that.

> > I'll just have to use Thunderbird or Evolution instead.. but it's not a
> > very nice resolution to the problem is it? I'll have to dispense with a
> > nice, integrated mail client and use something else just because of
> > someone's prejudice against technology. I mean, come on, grow up.
> >
> > > Just right-click your attachment, choose properties and check 'Suggest
> > > automatic display'.
> >
> > Yeah, done that, but my friend's email client still just showed it as an
> > attachment.
>
> Ah, maybe he doesn't want to display attachments automatically. Hence the
> 'suggestion'. Having control about how you want to view your mail is a good
> thing.

Well that's a matter of opinion :) If I send someone a mail I've spent time to format carefully, I want to know that they can see my careful formatting.

> What mail client is that?

Not sure, whatever she uses at work. She's a graphic designer, so Apple Mail, probably :)