Arrangement of Icons on the panel, Intrepid KDE4.2

Johnny Ernst Nielsen j_e_n_pub at yahoo.dk
Tue Mar 3 10:42:32 UTC 2009

Greetings Steven.

mandag den 2. Marts 2009 kvad Steven Vollom:
> Do you consider 'the panel' the row of icons on the bottom of the
> screen, or the 'plasmoids' on the desktop.

I consider "The Panel" the row of icons on the bottom of the screen.

> If you are referring to the bottom panel, that is what I am
> interested in moving Icons.

Then let's try to do that :o)

> Actually, I would like to move the entire panel to the top of the
> screen.

Click the cashew at the top right corner of your desktop, and choose
to unlock widgets.
That should put an additional cashew at the panel's right end.
Click the panel cashew.
That should open the panel settings.
In the panel settings you should see an item "Screen edge".
Click and drag the "Screen edge" item to the top of the screen to move
the panel to the top of the screen.

> Then I would like to have the Kmenu icon closest to the
> right corner of the screen.

I assume the K menu icon is already in the panel.
Widgets must be unlocked.
Click the panel cashew, to open the panel settings.
Drag the K menu button to whereever you want it.

> Next, I would like to have the 'home/steven' icon.

The one that pops a menu showing the contents of /home/steven, or the
one that opens /home/steven in Dolphin?

> Then a Konqueror icon, next a kmail icon, next  a Dolphin icon, next
> Adept and Synaptic, then Ktorrent

You can drag and drop icons from the K menu onto the panel to add
extra icons on the panel.
Widgets must be unlocked.
If the panel settings are open, close them.
Then navigate the K menu to find the applications of which you want
icons added to the panel, and drag and drop from the K menu onto the
panel.
When all your icons are on the panel, open the panel settings and drag
the icons around in the panel, to arrange them in whatever order you
like.

> Then trash.

This has to be added a bit differently, in order for the trash can
icon to get the popup menu option of emptying trash, and in order for
the icon to change depending on whether there is something in the can
or not.
Widgets must be unlocked.
Open the panel settings.
Choose "Add widgets".
In the "Add widgets" window, find and select the Trashcan widget.
Click "Add widget".
That should place a trashcan icon on your panel.
Close the "Add widgets" window.
Open the panel settings, and drag the trashcan icon whereever you like
it.

> ...hiding panel.

I assume you want your panel to hide automatically.
Widgets must be unlocked.
Open the panel settings.
Choose "More settings"
Choose "Auto hide"
Close the panel settings.

Remember to lock the widgets when all your tampering is done.

> When I use the plasmoid Zoom Out choice, I get a screen that I
> can't go back from. I just shut the system down in frustration.
> What am I doing wrong?

You just need to click the "Zoom in" icon beneath the miniature of
your desktop.

How many miniature desktops do you see when zoomed out?

Feel free to ask additional questions.
We're here to help each other.

Best regards

Johnny :o)