AMD Computers Boot with Interprid and Hardy

Mark Halegua phantom21 at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 2 19:59:45 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 06:25:02 am Hein van Rensburg wrote:
> I have seen a few mails saying AMD computers cannot boot interprid and
> hardy. This problem is seen with AMD and Nvidia chipsets and 32 and 64 bit
> chipsets and software.
>
> You have to add a argument in the boot line and it should work.
> There are several kernel posts about this problem.
>
> When running boot cd, after choosing language, press F6 and add "pci=nomsi"
> to boot line after "quiet splash". Then boot. ( press enter)
>
> It worked on all 3 of my AMD systems and I could install hardy and
> interprid.
>
> Hopes it helps a few people.

I have an AMD Turion X2 64bit system and an AMD 32 Athlon single core (ready
for upgrade when I find the money) and both have hardy installed.  I did have
a problem installing hardy on the Athlon system, and installed an earlier
version of Kubuntu and then systematically upgraded.  The Turion X2 64bit
system installed hardy no problem.

Mark