Processor DownCore

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 1 01:09:33 UTC 2009

I have been unable to find anything about the DownCore feature other than it
allows you to use less cores in a multi-core processor.  There is no manual
explanation I can find.  If I enable the feature, does it automatically lower
the number of working cores, or do I have a choice available on demand.  I
have a quad that uses 95W power.  If I am working on things that do not
require that much speed, would lowering the number of processors lower the
amount of power used?  I don't like flies, but a flyswatter is sufficient, a
sledge hammer is not, even if it is more fun.  Thanks!

Steven