Grub2

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sat Jun 27 20:31:44 UTC 2009

Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Saturday 27 June 2009 02:57:57 pm Goh Lip wrote:
>> Goh Lip wrote:
>>> When updating Karmic alpha2 to alpha3, grub2 was modified and grub
>>> legacy removed. However configfile grub.cfg was rendered unusable and
>>> was unable to launch any OS in it.
>>>
> . . .
>>> Anybody had similar problem?
>> Also, has anyone any idea of setting a dedicated grub partition using
>> grub2? How do you setup this partition to boot up equivalent to grub
>> legacy "root (hd0,x) --> setup (hd0)"?
>> I cannot make it work through the grub commands, must it be done only
>> through the main linux shell?
>> In other words....
>> grub>......doesn't work anymore?
>> gohlip at computername:~$.... only?

> I ran across this the other day, it may help you.
> http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/06/21/smooth-sailing-to-grub-2/
>
> Alan

Looked at the site you referred and yes, had done all the things that is
supposed to do and it is working as it is supposed to. I have no problem
setting up grub2 on Karmic.(excepting the bug which is now classified as
critical)

It is just that I have a separate partition (independent of distros)
'1st boot' on grub legacy and wonder how to convert this to grub2. I
think it can be done, but need setting this up through a linux distro
which utilizes grub2, unlike grub legacy which allows this to be done
through the 'grub shell'. So should anything happen to the distro that
uses grub2, I may not be able to amend or modify the grub2 partition,
(which happened twice in Karmic where I had to rectify through the Hardy
partition, ironically once because of this grub2 bug and rescued because
I had a dedicated grub partition)

I am leaving this dedicated grub partition in grub legacy until I am
satisfied that there will not be an issue to contend with and when grub2
becomes more 'settled'. I am soliciting opinions and suggestions and I
am grateful for your input.

Regards,
Goh Lip