Grub2

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sat Jun 27 18:57:57 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:
> When updating Karmic alpha2 to alpha3, grub2 was modified and grub
> legacy removed. However configfile grub.cfg was rendered unusable and
> was unable to launch any OS in it.
>
> Made a bug report.
>
> <quote>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/391028
>

> Public bug reported:
>
> karmic 64
> linux 2.6.30-9
> grub2
>
> Grub2 fails to launch any OS.
> Rectified by modifying grub.cfg of the lines
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 4afcadf1-b2a6-..........
> search  --fs-uuid --set 4afcadf1-b2a6-..........
> ie., by removing "--no-floppy"
>
> Note: this was done by launching my hardy partition through a dedicated
> boot partition(grub legacy)
> and modifying the grub.cfg of the karmic partition.
>
> ** Affects: ubuntu
> <unquote>
>
> Anybody had similar problem?

Also, has anyone any idea of setting a dedicated grub partition using
grub2? How do you setup this partition to boot up equivalent to grub
legacy "root (hd0,x) --> setup (hd0)"?
I cannot make it work through the grub commands, must it be done only
through the main linux shell?
In other words....
grub>......doesn't work anymore?
gohlip at computername:~$.... only?