cached data to be written to disk

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 16:37:35 UTC 2009

Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 16:29, Alvin <info at alvin.be> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 16:14:52 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>>> hello list,
>>> is there any program to check the quantity of the data cached in memory
>>> awaiting to be written to disk? or even better, watch a graph og IO
>>> operations per application? for example, in Proces Explorer on windows,
>>> i can add a column of IO graph, which shows each process' IO in a graph
>>> beside itm any such tool on linux?
>>> i believe most of my bottlenecks, and the few firefox freezes i'm
>>> suffering are IO related, when FF is waiting for it's data to be
>>> written, it hangs, and starts eating memory in HUGE quantities till the
>>> freeze is over.
>> Maybe iotop is what you need:

>>  iotop does for I/O usage what top(1) does for CPU usage. It watches I/O usage
>> information output by the Linux kernel (requires 2.6.20 or later)
>>  and displays a table of current I/O usage by processes on the system. Handy
>> for answering the question "Why is my disk churning so much?".
>> Homepage: http://guichaz.free.fr/iotop/
>
> There also is the KDE system monitor you can configure by
> adding/removing tabs and displays.
>

> Regards, Myriam

i take it that's not the same as system activity launched by CTRL+ESC?
i remember the ksysguard of KDE3, used to have a lot of sensors to be
added to it, one category was IO, is this system monitor something like
it? is it installed by default? or in what package do i find it? thanks.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems