Kmail wants localhost

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 24 15:46:08 UTC 2009

Jeffrey Barish wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>>
>>> Ever since I was forced to do a hot reset, Kmail has been complaining
>>> that
>>> it cannot connect to host localhost.  I don't have an account for
>>> localhost, so I'm not sure what it's referring to.  I do have a
>>> localhost entry in /etc/hosts, but somehow I don't think that's what
>>> it's referring
>>> to.  I grepped in .kde/share/apps/kmail.  Nothing there.  Any ideas?
>>
>> You have an "Account" (either Receiving - POP3 or IMAP - or Sending -
>> SMTP)
>> that specifies to connect to localhost.  If you don't need one, delete
>> it.
>
> Good theory.  It makes sense, but none of my kmail accounts refer to
> localhost.  The message that I get is actually from kontact, so I don't
> actually know that the problem is with kmail.

Well, then, close kontact (with ctrl-W, not just by closing the window), and
start up each of the components directly: kmail, knode, akregator,
korganizer (note, korgac - the reminder daemon starts independently), and
whatever else you have active in kontact.  That way you should find which
one is looking for localhost.
--
derek