Server choices - linux / MS?

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:51:11 UTC 2009

Alex Faure wrote:
> Thanks Guys
> Appreciate the detailed replies. Done more research myself and Ebox looks a
> very good option - although I find massive support on the forums for SME
> Server which also looks very good and very reliable.
> Any comments on these server implementations.
>
> On another track - being Linux - I assume hardware requirements will be
> simple? entry level dual core, 1Gb RAM and RAID drives for data and separate
> drive for OS and software?
>
> Thanks again
> Lex
>
> 2009/6/22 David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net>
>
>> On Monday 22 June 2009 12:23:48 David Kuntadi wrote:
>>> I think you should install 1 server and 1 firewall/router.
>>> My suggestion is:
>>>
>>> 3. Ubuntu server for mai server, install webmin for ease administration:
>>> http://www.webmin.com/
>> I did my own home server setup for email, firewall etc. using webmin.
>> Trouble
>> is, looking back at what I did at a later date, could I figure out just how
>> the hell I made it work? Nope.
>>
>> Next time I do this (which I would like to precede with a hardware rebuild
>> reduce power consumption), I'm going to try to do the whole thing without
>> installing webmin. Putting in comments with initials to search for and the
>> date that everything was edited in /etc/ then backing up /etc/ makes it
>> easier, I think, to backup everything that was done and to more easily
>> understand what was done when somebody wants it adjusted 2 years after it
>> was
>> last touched.
>>
>> The thing I think I really need serious assistance with these days, is
>> iptables. In the repositories is an application called KMyFirewall which
>> I've
>> not yet played with, but I believe it can do remote administration of a
>> firewall on a server. Has anybody else here used it? Any good? I would
>> value
>> feedback myself, for next time.
>>
>> Dave

i tried ebox before, one thing that bugged me is that it doesn't use the
 interfaces file for network management. and thus, the "route" command
didn't work properly at all. and i had 2 applications that require
"route" to know the newwork setup properly, route says there's no
gateway when ebox is installed, the apps assumed there's no network and
run in offline mode. one of them could be configured to skip that test,
the other, can't remember what it was, had the command hardcoded in it,
and i am in no state to edit and source file and recompile :P
but in general, ebox has a nice interface, i just wish programs stick
more to defaults and known standards for their settings and stuff.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems