open as root in dolphin

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:40:05 UTC 2009

Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 June 2009 06:35:17 am pkaplan1 wrote:
>> I think this is a kde problem as I started experiencing something like this
>> about a year ago after testing kde4.
>>
>> You might try opening dolphin w/ sudo dolphin (CLI) or kdesudo dolphin
>> (krunner).  Alternatively, install and run mc as root or kommander, which
>> seems to install with a default password challenge to enable root access.
>>
>> Paul
>
> ONLY use kdesudo to open a graphical application no matter where you start it
> from.  NEVER use sudo.  You will create problems for yourself later on with
> permissions and such.
>
> --
> Alan

yes exactly. most of the problems are in the new ways after KDE 4.2.2
for example, when starting with sudo, a problem happens with kdeinit.
the current one is running as $USER and a new one running as root has to
be started, but since using sudo, many of the $USER environment is still
the same, and the communication between the root application and kdeinit
is incorrectly done resulting in the dreaded xmessage stating the error
and which resets X.
so please, use kdesudo.

--
Willy K. Hamra