Server choices - linux / MS?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jun 22 20:41:51 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 06:29:55 am Alex Faure wrote:
> I am installing a small server to server 20 windows users in an
> office. I need to use it to manage emails - download to server
> and then to users and visa versa. It will also be used for
> windows updates - 1 update, cached and then available to all
> users (not sure yet how I will do this) I also want to make
> backups onto the server of user's data. (automatically) The
> server will not be used as a live data source for users. Any
> advice on installation and utilities I can use
> Any suggestions if this would be OK as a Linux solution - or do I
> need windows server? If linux - which distro/version would be
> ideal. I only know Ubuntu and Kubuntu - suggestions would be
> great!
> Regards
>
> Lex

I strongly suggest Linux over Windows. I like Slackware but Fedora
has a good rep also. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are aimed at the end user
market, not the server market.   I just posted a query on
comp.os.linux.misc that should elicit some additional opinions.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95