Server choices - linux / MS?

Alex Faure alex.faure at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:03:41 UTC 2009

Thanks Guys
Appreciate the detailed replies. Done more research myself and Ebox looks a
very good option - although I find massive support on the forums for SME
Server which also looks very good and very reliable.
Any comments on these server implementations.

On another track - being Linux - I assume hardware requirements will be
simple? entry level dual core, 1Gb RAM and RAID drives for data and separate
drive for OS and software?

Thanks again
Lex

2009/6/22 David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net>

> On Monday 22 June 2009 12:23:48 David Kuntadi wrote:
> > I think you should install 1 server and 1 firewall/router.
> > My suggestion is:
> >
> > 3. Ubuntu server for mai server, install webmin for ease administration:
> > http://www.webmin.com/
> I did my own home server setup for email, firewall etc. using webmin.
> Trouble
> is, looking back at what I did at a later date, could I figure out just how
> the hell I made it work? Nope.
>
> Next time I do this (which I would like to precede with a hardware rebuild
> reduce power consumption), I'm going to try to do the whole thing without
> installing webmin. Putting in comments with initials to search for and the
> date that everything was edited in /etc/ then backing up /etc/ makes it
> easier, I think, to backup everything that was done and to more easily
> understand what was done when somebody wants it adjusted 2 years after it
> was
> last touched.
>
> The thing I think I really need serious assistance with these days, is
> iptables. In the repositories is an application called KMyFirewall which
> I've
> not yet played with, but I believe it can do remote administration of a
> firewall on a server. Has anybody else here used it? Any good? I would
> value
> feedback myself, for next time.
>
> Dave

Alex Faure`