TO STEVEN VOLLOM: Internet connection

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 22 18:45:12 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 Jun 2009 11:14:15 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On Friday 19 June 2009 15:28:53 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > (Trim)
> >
> > > Hi Steven
> > >
> > > Please try to do either as I suggest:
> > >
> > > If your /etc/network/interfaces looks anything else than this:
> > >
> > > auto lo
> > > iface lo inet loopback
> > > address 127.0.0.1
> > > netmask 255.0.0.0
> >
> > It just said:
> >
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > When I first opened Kate the address and netmask were missing.
> >
> >  auto eth0
> >  iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > Responce to attempt to get on the Internet using a browser said "The
> > requested operation cou;ld not be completed
> > Unknown Host
> >
> > When changed to the following:
> >
> >  auto lo
> >  iface lo inet loopback
> >  address 127.0.0.1
> >  netmask 255.0.0.0
> >
> > After booting and attempting to connect to the Internet using a browser it
> > said:  The requested operation could not be completed
> > Unknown Host
> >
> > When changed to the following:
> >
> >  auto lo
> >  iface lo inet loopback
> >  address 127.0.0.1
> >  netmask 255.0.0.0
> >
> >  auto eth0
> >  iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > After booting and attempting to connect to the Internet using a browser it
> > said:  The requested operation could not be completed
> > Unknown Host
> >
> > This was completed with the connection from the modem directly to the
> > computer.  The router was not a part of this test.
> >
> > I have to reconnect to this computer now to send.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steven
>
> I think I saw a post that you where using eth2. Maybe try that instead?

Just a thought.... Steven, does your computer have TWO ethernet connections? This is what seems to be implied by some of the posts I've been reading. By this I mean, are there two connectors on the back of the computer into which you could plug the ethernet cable that goes to the modem? If there are, try using the other one.

Mark