KDE4 speed impressions.

Irving Leonard irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu
Fri Jun 19 20:25:14 UTC 2009

El Wednesday 17 June 2009 02:27:09 am Dotan Cohen escribió:

> >> Thanks, Irving. Can you please post links to the thread and the bugs?
> >
> > Sorry, my mistake, it has 512MB RAM (instead of 256MB)
> >
> > My thread start with:
> > From: Irving Leonard <irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu>
> > To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> > Subject: KDE4 unusefull in a toshiba satellite A70
> > Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 00:39:20 -0400
> >
> > another mistake, I report another bug in launchpad (an ACPI related, it
> > was reported, I made a comment
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/70102)
> >; about the kernel I open a thread in ubuntuforums
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7187342#post7187342 . I guess is
> > a kernel bug because knoppix 5.1 make the same mistake (mobility radeon
> > 9100IGP instead of 9000IGP)
>
> I see, thanks. The ACPI bug is very hardware-specific, and I cannot
> reproduce it on my Dell laptop. Actually, I've already disconnected
> the lid switch internally, it was faulty and turning the laptop on in
> my bag!
>
> I still cannot reproduce the Kmail bug, for what it's worth. Are you
> using the proprietary or free video drivers? Have you tried with the
> other drivers?

The ACPI problem is very old (from 5.10) and still is an issue but the
Satellite A70 is discontinued so ...
The problem in kmail "is not in kmail", I used it as an example because I use
it a lot but it's the same with every program, every window is a pain in the
****, scrolling or dragging consumes all the CPU power. I guess that the
kernel's mistake (9100 instead of 9000) makes a poor use of the GPU.
The drivers: ATI supports only from Radeon 9500 and over (and mobility radeon
9600 and over) so I have to use the openradeon driver.
--
regards
irving