100 papercuts

Alan Dacey Sr. Grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Mon Jun 22 11:52:36 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 06:05:55 am Alvin wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'd like to bring this blog post about Canonical's 100 papercuts project to
> your attention:
> http://weblog.obso1337.org/2009/100-papercuts-and-kubuntu/
>
> Now, before rushing off to launchpad I'd like to know what Kubuntu
> papercuts could be. (I already rushed to launchpad for what I thought was a
> minor annoyance, but the request was denied:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/340206 )
>
> There are two things that annoy me in Kubuntu, but aren't showstoppers:
> - The ever crashing bookmark editor.
> - The half-working NFS kioslave.
>
> Well, there are more, but a papercut should affect a large number of
> people. Maybe the two problems above aren't easy to fix either. Any ideas
> about small usability problems?

A paper cut is a small, annoying thing that can be very easily fixed, the devs
say no more than a few lines of code.  Here are two examples:

Changing the wording on certain buttons
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/389751

Fixing that annoying postscript file name in the 'print to file' dialog window
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/382829

So they are just small things that taken all together, make the total K/Ubuntu
experience less than is should be.

--
Alan

Brave Sir Robin did run away