Server choices - linux / MS?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Jun 22 11:52:45 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 12:23:48 David Kuntadi wrote:
> I think you should install 1 server and 1 firewall/router.
> My suggestion is:
>
> 3. Ubuntu server for mai server, install webmin for ease administration:
> http://www.webmin.com/
I did my own home server setup for email, firewall etc. using webmin. Trouble
is, looking back at what I did at a later date, could I figure out just how
the hell I made it work? Nope.

Next time I do this (which I would like to precede with a hardware rebuild to
reduce power consumption), I'm going to try to do the whole thing without
installing webmin. Putting in comments with initials to search for and the
date that everything was edited in /etc/ then backing up /etc/ makes it
easier, I think, to backup everything that was done and to more easily
understand what was done when somebody wants it adjusted 2 years after it was
last touched.

The thing I think I really need serious assistance with these days, is
iptables. In the repositories is an application called KMyFirewall which I've
not yet played with, but I believe it can do remote administration of a
firewall on a server. Has anybody else here used it? Any good? I would value
feedback myself, for next time.

Dave