Install *-dbg for all installed KDE packages

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sat Jun 20 07:53:08 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Reminder: please do _not_ send HTML formatted mail!

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 04:22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > So you can install just what you need in a particular area. Some of these
> > debug packages are quite large - kdepim-dbg is 119mb in size, and uses 330mb
> > installed, for example.
> >

> Thanks, Clay. I don't suppose that other than the disk space, there is
> a performance penalty with these packages? Do they demand more RAM /
> processor cycles than the regular packages?

Indeed they can, as they generate more output. You can see and measure
the difference by starting an application on the command line with or
without the --debug option and monitor the CPU/RAM usage with the KDE
system monitor.
Of course, this very much depends on your computer performance,
though. I have all debug packages installed for the KDE applications
on my system and don't see much difference on a 2.3 GHz CPU with 4 GB
of RAM. This will of course be very different with much less RAM, as
it can intensify swapping and slow down the performance.
And, as Clay mentioned it, those debug packages can be quite big, so
if the / partition is limited in size this can lead to space problems

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org