Compositing too slow

Alvin info at alvin.be
Thu Jun 18 08:37:33 BST 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 09:24:53 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> Since the upgrade to 4.2.90 I have constantly the message "Compositing too
> slow and disabled' few minutes after I open the laptop and start using
> KMail. Seconds before the message appears the overall delay in any
> operation in Kmail (including typing) is more than 5 seconds.
>
> Does anyone else have this issue?  Any ideas what can cause the problem?

I do. On my system, there are 2 causes for this message to appear:
- If I copy a lot of files from a fileserver to an USB disk, the 2 cores of my
CPU go to 100% and KDE becomes unresponsive. (Has nothing to do with KDE.)
- If Amarok is playing for a few hours, the 2 GB memory and 2GB swap will fill
up completely and the system will become unresponsive.

Now, as to the solution: I really don't know. In my case, I will try bying a
new computer. (More cores and memory might enable me to use KMail at a decent
speed again.)

Do you have an intel GPU? There are major performance issues with those
drivers in Jaunty.