Connecting from Live CD

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 19 16:43:55 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 02:57:12 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Jun 2009 19:44:12 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 Jun 2009 18:46:28 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > I forget who posted, sorry, but I was asked to try to connect to the
> > > Internet and kmail using the live CD, since my computer would not
> > > connect from the installed Jaunty application.  If this gets through, I
> > > am connected using Jaunty Live CD.  Thanks!
> > >
> > > Steven
> >
> > It wasn't me who asked but that's Great!
> >
> > I've had an idea. Try something else. Connect your broken computer to
> > your modem and boot it from the hard disc (not the live CD).
> >
> > Make sure KMail is not running.
> >
> > Find the following files and *move* them somewhere (for example into
> > /home/steven): /home/steven/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
> > /home/steven/.kde/share/config/kmailcvtrc
> > /home/steven/.kde/share/config/kmail.eventsrc
> > (If you're using Dolphin you will have to enable View->Show Hidden Files
> > from the menu to find the .kmail folder) If you can't find all 3, don't
> > worry, just make sure to move the ones that do exist.
> >
> > Also find the following directory and *move* that as well (DON'T delete
> > it, you will need it later): /home/steven/share/apps/kmail
> >
> > Now start KMail again. You will have to reconfigure it but I think you're
> > getting quite good at that :) You will notice all your old email has also
> > gone, but that's why you moved the folder and didn't delete it.
> >
> > Try sending another email and see if it works. I'm working on the guess
> > that your kmail configuration is corrupt. This will remove it and allow
> > you to recreate it. If it sorts out the problem then we'll work on
> > getting your saved email back. If it doesn't work, put the files and the
> > folder back where they started from and we'll have another think.
> >
> > Mark.

The only thing I couldn't do is move a file named /kmailcvtrc, I did not have
that file.  When completed, I opened and reconfigured kmail.  I could not use
the feature (What the server recommends, because I am unable to get a
connection through router or modem to the ISP, so I made the proper selections
and tried to open kmail.  I got the same error message I have been getting,
Unknown Host pop.att.yahoo.com.

I am going to wait for instructions, because both configuration entries are the
same I believe and I hope it doesn't matter which I remove when this is all
over.  As far as the moved data, do I just put it back where it was or do I
rename the entries that are currently functioning and then return the moved
files back.

Is there any possibility that the fact that I do not have /kmailcvtrc that
that could be causing the problem??

Steven