active directory access problem

pkaplan1 pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 09:50:13 UTC 2009

From kubuntu 9.04 I'm having problems accessing Active Directory shares.

I can get to them in konqueror using the smb:// protocol or using
Py.Neighborhood.  The smb approach through konqueror, while secure (It
asks for a password), is kind of klunky since directories don't get mounted
and so is really only useful for moving files to and from the directory, not
for working with them.  Py.Neighborhood only works if I enter my network
password in the configuration dialog, which then stores the password in an
open text file (although the file is restricted by ownership privileges), Also
Py can't sort the servers it sees by name (our network lists thousands of
them) and so it's a PITA to use.

For many years, I have successfully used smb4k to mount AD shares, but
v0.10.2 can not see any of the network servers or mount shares using the
"mount manually" command.  Older versions would show all of the domains
ofter scanning and then present all of the servers on the domain listed in
smb.conf if I double clicked on it.  Thereafter double clicking a server name
would present me with a username/password dialog.

Depending on the config settings in smb4k, attempting to mount a share
manually is met with "no rights to do that" even after entering the correct
username/password, or just a choke.

Has anyone used any other gui tools for mounting AD shares?  If gnome has
a tool, what package is it in?
Since the smb:// protocol works, shouldn't I be able to mount/umount
shares from the command line?  What would be the proper syntax so that I
still get challenged with a username/password?