Fwd: Re: Is there virus removal software for Jaunty KDE

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Jun 17 19:19:28 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Monday 15 June 2009 06:27:45 pm Lisi Reisz wrote:
>  > Steven -
>  >
>  > I am forwarding this to the list because I feel that list discussions
>  > should stay on list; and also because some of the people on the list seem
>  > able to communicate with you better than I. I am a litteralist when it
>  > comes to words; and it feels a bit to me as though I am conversing with
>  > Lewis Carol's Humpty Dumpty when I converse with you: words mean what you
>  > want them to, not what everyone else thinks they mean. E.g., when you
> said
>  > that you were connected to the web via a DSL modem, I accepted that
> at face
>  > value. Some on the list knew better. You are obviously, however
>  > distasteful it may be to you, connected via a modem-router of some kind.
>  >
>  > I gave you the name of a Live CD that can be used to scan for computer
>  > viruses. I repeat, it is called F-Secure Rescue CD. If you google for it,
>  > you will find it. If you then burn the .iso to a CD, you will be able to
>  > run it on any computer you wish. Just remember to plug said computer
> in to
>  > your "modem" with a Cat 5e (ethernet) cable before you start, so that the
>  > CD can update its virus data.
>  >
>  > You may well find some viruses in the middle of some of your downloaded
>  > stuff, but they will not be doing anything. They will just be sitting
>  > there. I once found 7 little virus .exe's sitting in my husband's
>  > /home/user directory looking forlorn and helpless. I deleted them, but
>  > only for the sake of tidyness.
>  >
>  > The problems you describe show a network problem.
>  >
>  > A worm is malware, like viruses. Like viruses they can't actually hurt a
>  > Linux computer.
>  >
>  > HTH means Hope This Helps.
>  >
>  > HTH
>  > Lisi

Steven,
okay, afaik the "real" manufacturer of your modem is
Motorola, but this does not matter to us.

The general idea is, that you connect the router port
labelled "WAN", directly to your modem port labelled
"ethernet", then connect any computer that you might have,
to the multiple "LAN" or "Ethernet" labelled ports of your
router.

Then, if the router works in the factory default mode, it
should connect any computer that you have to the internet.

At least this is the basic idea how it works, when Modem and
router device are separated insteas of integrated into one.
For sure, this is not to say that there are no "special
cases" around.

Kind regards
Eberhard