KDE4 Multiple Desktops

Alan Dacey Sr. Grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Tue Jun 16 21:48:54 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 04:49:00 am tpk wrote:
> --- On Tue, 16/6/09, Alan Dacey Sr. <Grokit at ajinfosearch.com> wrote:
> > I've turned Compiz off, for now I just want a flat, plain desktop while I
> > figure out where everything is.
>
> I used Compiz with KDE 3.5 but I found everything I use everyday in Kwin.
> Open System Settings, go into Desktop and play with things under the 'All
> Effects' tab.  The only thing that took me more than a few times of use to
> get used to is spinning the desktop cube.  Ctrl-Alt-Right/Left Arrow cannot
> be bound to the right/left spin.  But you can bind one of those and then
> use the right/left arrow to spin it (at least in KDE 4.2.4).  You can also
> set the activate of the cube spin to a desktop edge and just use the mouse
> to do it.
>
> You actually can bind Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right to the desktop switch, but you
> need to configure it in the global KDE shortcuts: System settings->Keyboard
> Shortcuts->"switch one desktop to the right" or something similar. It will
> activate the desktop cube if it is set as the default effect for switching
> desktops.

. . .
> -Tom

Very cool, I learned something today.  It is actually under the Global
Shortcuts as Switch to Next/Previous Desktop.  It doesn't bring up the cube,
but I have Rotate Cube as my desktop switch style so it still looks about the
same.  Thanks Tom!

Alan

Well that's not a very silly walk, isn't it?