command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 16 20:57:18 UTC 2009

(trim)

> well, there is no need to comply. On the other hand, it does
> not make much sense to use ifconfig to show the network
> configuration when the network is not connected, does it?
>
> > steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo ifconfig
> > [sudo] password for steven:
> > eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:0d:88:1c:a7:71
> > UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> > RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
> > RX bytes:0 (0:0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)
> > Interrupt:17 Base Address:0xd800
>
> and more....
>
> As I said, this is useless, when the computer is not connected.
>
> > I am sure I did not give you what you wanted for the broken computer,
> > but I don't know how you want it connected, direct to the modem or to
> > the router.
>
> Directly to the modem, using the very same cable end that is
> now plugged into the laptop.
>
> And please connect the cable before you start the broken
> computer machine.
>
> > I connected the broken computer to the router and the laptop to the
> > router; but the broken computer still will not comunicate. The readings
> > were the same as when not connected.
>
> Let's see whether this happens, when connected to the cable
> that is now connected to the Laptop.
>
> Then we will proceed from there.
> This will probably mean that you will need to reattach the
> former laptop cable from the broken desktop back to the
> laptop, again.
>
> kind regards
>
> Eberhard

About ifconfig, it didn't make any sense to me either, but I have learned that
I don't understand things the way you do, many times, so I just do as told.
That way if it is not necessary the data can be rejected, but if I make a
decision to not include something that doesn't make sense to me, I may be
wrong and then am considered stubborn or whatever.  I just typed it in so that
it was there if it should be and you wanted it.

By the way, any time I am comparing the laptop with the other computer, I use
the exact same cables--everything that is used and done to the one, is
duplicated the exact same way on the other, so that the test is accurate.

Steven