command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 16 18:28:58 UTC 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009 12:24:14 am David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Steven
>
> Vollom<stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Yes David. It worked through the router. It worked direct to the DSL
> > modem. It never was a problem that I can remember.
>
> In that case, could you try to use live cd on the computer you said
> have virus. Let me know whether or not the live cd could connect to
> internet.
>
> DK
Hi David,

I tried your suggestion and used the live CD.  Email worked perfectly.  I
apologize for the email I posted where I forgot who posted.  I just came in
from a fall I took in the back yard.  Almost knocked myself out, I hit my head
so hard.  After I send this, I may be off line for a few minutes, I don't feel
well.  I will try again later.

After successfully sending and receiving email from the live CD, I booted
again and tried connecting with Kmail, first.  I got this error message:
Error-Kmail

Unknown host
pop.att.yahoo.com
I checked configuration and everything was as it should be.  Next I tried to
connect using the browser.  The error message reads  Unknown Host and doesn't
work..

When I configured Kmail using the Live CD, I used the exact same settings as
are on the normal application.  I want to remind you too, that I got this same
error, prior to re-installing Jaunty to try to fix the problem.  I know it
probably is not a virus, everyone is certain, but so that I can explain and
not confuse you which machine and stuff, I am going to talk like it has a
virus.

The infected machine had the Unknown Host for browser and unknown host for
kmail.  Live CD did not.  Both Kmail and Konqueror worked normally.  The
infected computer was formatted and reinstalled, and still had Unknown host
for both Kmail and Konqueror.  All of this has just now been tested with a
direct connection to the ISP via the DSL modem.  Thanks!  I am encouraged that
the Live CD worked.  Apparently it is not a hardware problem.  Thanks friend.

Steven