virtualizing a Windoze install

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:40:06 UTC 2009

On Sunday 14 June 2009 04:42:44 am David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sunday 14 Jun 2009, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > Ladies and Gents, I have Windoze Vista installed, on one laptop, and
> > Windoze XP, on another.  I vaguely remember reading something about
> > running that physical install as a virtualized guest in Linux
> > (eliminating the need to
>
> dual
>
> > boot).  I remember reading an article about the license key activation
> > and
>
> how
>
> > to avoid having to activate it each time you switched from running in a
> > virtual session and a physical session.
> > The question is, how?
>
> I've never used Vista in any form :-) but I do have an XP virtual machine
> that I occasionally use when I work from home. I'm running it right now,
> just to let it do its updates. Apparently there was a mega patch Tuesday
> this week, but it just demanded a restart because AVG updated too hee hee.
>
> So long as you have plenty of memory and a suitable processor in the
> laptop, you might be better off just wiping everything and installing
> Kubuntu by itself. I'm sticking with Hardy for a while so I can't vouch for
> anything later. Get VirtualBox direct from the web site:-
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.2.4/virtualbox-2.2_2.2.4-47978_
>Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb not the Ubuntu repositories - it has more facilities -
> and reinstall XP under that. Make sure you install the VirtualBox Guest
> Additions so you can set the screen resolution etc. It's under the Devices
> menu on the VirtualBox window.

I'm running 9.04 now, so I downloaded the deb file for that.  We'll see what it
can do.

I distinctly remember being able to run a straight up install on a separate
partition as a Guest, as well as boot into it normally on some web site.  I
wished I had saved it, so I could ask the author more details.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.