command for downloading a package to save

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Mon Jun 15 10:18:22 UTC 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009 05:35:57 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> Trim
>
> > 1. First, accurately describe the problem without making *any*
> > assumptions.
>
> I wrote my daughter an email.  Her address is dawn at emiaphotography.com.
> The mail program said it could not send check the address.  I checked the
> address and it was:  dawn at Yeshua@emiaphotography.com.  I deleted the
> '@Yeshua' and clicked send again.  The mail program said it could not send
> check the address.  I checked the address and this time it was
> dawn at emiaphotography-- dot--com.  I removed the '--dot--' and clicked send.
>  This time the computer replied that there was a problem with the sender.
> I checked the configuration for me as sender and confirmed that it was
> unchanged and as it should be. Because everything was configured properly,
> I had no option to choose from.
>
> I have a gmail account for communication with strangers that I do not yet
> trust.  I went to the gmail site and tried to send an email to the list
> administrator, not the list.  They would not reply because they said I had
> to register.  I explained I was registered as stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net.
> They declined to respond, so I joined as Shabakthanai, my gmail pseudonymOn
> Sunday
>
> 14 June 2009 02:57:20 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
> > that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
> > back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions.
> > You have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus.
> > Now I don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your
> > computer knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with
> > that, and I'll help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of
> > problems, not baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The
> > fact that you are having email problems does not mean you have a virus.
> > It *might* mean that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I
> > would check. The way to solve a computer problem is:
> > @gmail.com.  I also found a place to send an email and told my opinion of
>
> what happened with Luis.  I don't remember getting any reply on that email
> until I got the laptop working and contacted the list for help.
>
> On Sunday 14 June 2009 02:57:20 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
> > that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
> > back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions.
> > You have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus.
> > Now I don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your
> > computer knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with
> > that, and I'll help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of
> [...]

This re-enforces my suspicion from my last e-mail @ 5:49 that he is switching
from static IP to dynamic ip and vice versa and not configuring the computer to
accept the change.

Unless someone can figure out a way to walk Steven through the basics of how a
network works and a proper network setup step by step via e-mail, I think this
is going to be a long long LONG thread that will get nowhere.

--
Blessings,
David M.