command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 15 09:35:57 UTC 2009

Trim
> 1. First, accurately describe the problem without making *any* assumptions.

I wrote my daughter an email.  Her address is dawn at emiaphotography.com.  The
mail program said it could not send check the address.  I checked the address
and it was:  dawn at Yeshua@emiaphotography.com.  I deleted the '@Yeshua' and
clicked send again.  The mail program said it could not send check the
address.  I checked the address and this time it was dawn at emiaphotography--
dot--com.  I removed the '--dot--' and clicked send.  This time the computer
replied that there was a problem with the sender.  I checked the configuration
for me as sender and confirmed that it was unchanged and as it should be.
Because everything was configured properly, I had no option to choose from.

I have a gmail account for communication with strangers that I do not yet
trust.  I went to the gmail site and tried to send an email to the list
administrator, not the list.  They would not reply because they said I had to
register.  I explained I was registered as stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net.  They
declined to respond, so I joined as Shabakthanai, my gmail pseudonymOn Sunday
14 June 2009 02:57:20 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
> that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
> back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You
> have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I
> don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer
> knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll
> help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not
> baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you
> are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean
> that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way
> to solve a computer problem is:
> @gmail.com.  I also found a place to send an email and told my opinion of
what happened with Luis.  I don't remember getting any reply on that email
until I got the laptop working and contacted the list for help.
On Sunday 14 June 2009 02:57:20 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
> that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
> back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You
> have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I
> don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer
> knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll
> help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not
> baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you
> are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean
> that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way
> to solve a computer problem is:

Please understand I cannot duplicate the procedure, because I no longer have a
connection to the Internet.  I wrote myself a test email addressed to me from
me with :) in the subject and xxxxxxxxxxxx in the body.  I clicked send and
the computer replied something about no connection to the router.  Those are
not the correct words, however, it was a comment about the router and that it
was not working properly.  Then I was stopped again.  So I decided to connect
the computer directly to the DSL modem.  When connected, I sent myself an
email.  This time it said something to the fact that the DSL connection was
not working.
On Sunday 14 June 2009 02:57:20 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
> that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
> back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You
> have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I
> don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer
> knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll
> help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not
> baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you
> are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean
> that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way
> to solve a computer problem is:

Currently I use the broken computer to handle boredom when I have to wait for
a response or need a break from the problem.  It works fine to play movies or a
couple of card games I play from time to time.  The applications work
excepting anything that requires the Internet, so I have only used the broken
computer for entertainment purposes.  When working the email problem, many
times the mouse reaction is very slow.  It works pretty normal otherwise.

I have reinstalled the OS 5 times recently for various reasons, so configuring
KMail became very easy.  I run through the process about as fast as I can type
and when finished connect and download immediately.  I haven't had to correct a
step in configuration for 5 or 6 installations. I compared configuration with
the laptop which is obviously configured correctly and they are identical.  I
typed all the configuration out on and odt. but it is on the broken computer ,
so unless it allows me to use a thumb drive, I can't copy it except longhand.

When I attempted to put ipconfig  on an odt, I copied it to the flash drive, but
when I put the flash in the laptop it was not there.  It was in the flash drive
when it was still in the broken computer though.

I erased the threatening email I got from Luis and can't remember its content.
All I remember is that it was an implied threat that made stop wanting to help
him.  My email that preceded his reply was something to the effect that Myriam
did not want me to give advice unless I was very sure about the help.  I asked
him what version of Kubuntu he had installed and whether it was gnome or kde.
I asked him what media he wanted to play so I could understand if he wanted to
install the restricted extras.  He is a Mexican, so I did not know if there
were any treaties relating to th medibuntu and restricted extras.  His reply
was I can only say implied threat.  It was strong enough to worry about him
being a hacker and purveyer of virus'.  The content of the email was not
consistent with his prior request.  I was only going to help him if he
installed Jaunty kde anyway, and he never answered my questions in the email.
And that is why I have virus on the brain, coupled with all the problems that
immediately happened with the computer  after communicatiing with him.
Unfortunately I don't remember any attachments, but my mind is not sure on
that point.

At this point I was isolated.  I did not have any way to connect to the
Internet, no one to help me, and not a clue what to do next.  The only other
computer I have is my laptop and it would not turn on.  My guess was that the
switch is damaged, but I tried moving the power supply connector in and out
trying to get a contact and about 100 tries with the on/off switch.  Finally it
blinked and came on.  I have not shut it off since.  It may not turn on again
for a few weeks like the last time.
> 2. Try to establish what the most obvious offending item is in that
> description and start from there.
>
> The first thing I would do is to examine very, very, closely every single
> part of my email client (which I am guessing for you is KMail) - check
> every single bit of configuration and look for the word 'Yeshua' or any

The only place Yeshua appears in the configuration is under 'Edit Identity
"steven vollom" - KMail.  It is under the general tab.  The entries are as
follows:

Your name:  Steven  Vollom
Email Address:  stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net

My account name is always my email address.  That instruction came from the
ISP.  I checked every entry letter by letter.  I triple checked.  I checked
every entry with the laptop configuration, side by side.  I suppose I could
have made a mistake, I am so good at it, but I have been so thorough that
repeating the process would be overkill.

> options related to 'hostname' or 'domain' or 'localhost' and just try

The only place the work Host is used is:  Host:  smtp.att.yahoo.com
that is the way it is supposed to be.
> changing them to see if makes any difference. I would change *one thing at
> a time*, and make sure I noted down what it was originally set to. After
> trying each setting change, I would revert it back to its original setting
> before trying the next. This is what I would do if, like you, I didn't
> fully understand what all the settings mean.

The only other thing I tried, but it did not work anyway is, I changed the
smtp port to 10 and removed the SSL.  That is the way it used to be before
adding SSL..  It did not work though.

trim
Steven

KMail configuration is so simple anymore, I don't know how to change the
entries.  You said change them one at a time.  I couldn't think of anything to
change them to other than what they are supposed to be, so I just carefully
verified that all the settings were exactly the same as on the laptop which
works perfectly.  Thanks for the help.

I haven't doen the Klamav thing yet, but I just have to, just in case there IS
a virus.  I very much want to see a picture that make laugh to tears.

Cordially, all,

Steven                                       THANKS